Friday, November 23, 2007

muchas cosas!

Yes, yes, it has been a while again. Sorry! But the good news is...I WILL BE HOME IN TWO WEEKS!!! I'm super stoked!

THE DAY OF THE DEAD
So the last time I posed anything it was just before el día de muertos. Many people traveled to Pátzcuaro in Michoacan. Apparently they have an island where for this holiday it is lit up only by candles and is very beautiful. Unfortunately, I think most of our students didn't plan very well for their trip and arrived in the town too late to get to the island.

The Day of the Dead is held on November 1 and 2; the first day to remember children that have died, and the second for everyone else. I've decided that I love this holiday. It was a bit difficult to participate in the holiday since I am not a part of a family here in Mexico (unless you count the two shots of tequila I had in May that made me Rebekah Turnbaugh-Rodriguez...jejeje), but just the idea behind it is beautiful. One could assume that with a name like "Day of the Dead" that it would be very mournful and dreary, but I did not observe that to be true. Rather it is a time to remember those that have passed and spend time as a family. According to the ancient religions, this was a day when the spirits of the dead returned to earth. And yet, you see images of the Virgin Mary during this time as well so it seems to be a mixture of both ancient religions and Catholicism...as I am learning have not been so very separate historically in Mexico.

This day also seems to acknowledge death as much as a part of life as the part when we are alive here on this earth. But there is also an element of fun in it too. For instance, my Spanish professor told us that people write letters or poems to their friends predicting how they will die as a joke and they are always funny. I had ambitions to do that for my Spanish class but they quickly went away. Additionally, there are these skeletal characters called calaveras that are all over the place. They were originally created by an artist named José Guadalupe Posada, his most famous being Catrina. His original intent was to show that the wealthy, in spite of all their pomp and circumstance, are just as vulnerable to death as the rest of us, but there is also an element of whimsy to them I think.

Anyhow, I decided to stay local for the celebrations. John and I headed to a cemetery in La Cañanda, a neighboring town. One of our professors grew up there and recommended that we visit. Families on this day go to the grave sites of their loved ones and decorate them and then spend the day talking about their family members and remembering them. I was told that some people will sleep there too. As John and I looked around (trying not to stand out too much as we took our photos, which I believe we probably failed at) we did not observe anyone that was sad or crying. Albeit, some people looked pretty bored since I imagine that they had been there all day, but other than that people we enjoying themselves.

After a few hours at the cemetery we headed to el centro to see the festivities there. We asked to be dropped at the plaza where the huge altar was...and goodness it was huge! It was made for two men, one of whom was Epigmenio Gonzalez (which is also the street that the Tec is on) but there were too many people around for me to be able to sit with my dictionary and read the sign about them.

Anyhow, families also make altars to their loved ones in their homes. I didn't see any until we went to a winery that Sunday (more on that later) and then later at a friend's host family's house, excepting the one in el centro. Bridgid and Eric joked about building one in front of Doozo Sushi, our favorite sushi place down the street from the Tec that was mysteriously closed for a long while (which I am happy to report will be re-opening in December).

El centro was very festive with street vendors galore! I had my first elote (finally!), well, actually it was elote in a cup which I can't ever remember the name for that. For those of you who don't know what this incredible food is, it is corn-on-the-cob smothered in mayo, cheese, chile powder, and lime. Mmmm! We spent the rest of the evening just wandering around and looking at everything, running into various clumps of internationals, and just enjoying ourselves.

I MISS WINE
One thing that I really miss here is wine, 1) because I can't have alcohol here in the Res; and, 2) wine is not as popular here as tequila and beer. But my Spanish professor, being the wonderfully-cultured man that he is, told us about a wine and music (jazz and blues) festival that was going on that weekend at a nearby winery. Yay! Therefore we headed out that Sunday to a place that we weren't quite sure where it was. But we (Bri, Bridgid, Lily, Eric, and I) made it to a little town called Ezequiel Montes after about a 40 minute bus ride.

The winery is called Freixinet and was so very fabulous. We paid a 50 peso entry fee (less than $5) and received a wine glass and ticket for a free glass of wine. Thus, armed with our wine we went in. There was music, an art gallery, and all kinds of yummies to buy. After browsing the art, which mostly consisted of copies of famous pieces, we scouted out a table (which ended up being quite a prime location for amusement, or at least interesting occurrences) and then two or three at a time we went to get food for the group. It was quite scrumptious and we enjoyed our afternoon of decadence very much.

At one point I noticed a woman precisely in my line of sight who had had quite a lot of wine I presume throwing up a bit, wrapped in the arms of her husband who was not taking her to the bathroom. Yuk. Lily, in an effort to not watch this, stood up and faced me. After only a few minutes the woman behind me, who wasn't quite as far gone as the woman in front of me, fell flat on her back in her chair. Lily made no effort to restrain her laughter and I turned around only to see her being helped up by her husband. Later that woman and her husband came over to talk to us and they were really cool. Here is a picture of our group with our new friends. :-)

We headed back that evening on a very hot and crowded bus. Here is one final picture of Eric trying to look scary. It's too cute not to share.

THE END IS NEAR
The end of the semester is coming quickly. We are taking finals now actually and I just have one more on Tuesday: Spanish grammar.

Last week we had a nice graduation ceremony for the international students where we received diplomas and such. I also received an award for the most improved in Spanish among the group (it helps if you start the bottom I think ;-). I was very surprised and my professor was very proud.

Last week was also the final week of classes. On our last day of Spanish we all went to Sushi Itto to "review." We did some of that, but mostly just hung out. It was a lot of fun. Here is a picture of our class, except Soheil, who wasn't able to come. Around the table, starting on the left, is Maude from Canada, Nivardo (our professor), Sarah from CA, Jamie from Australia, me, Bridgid from CA, Gabrielle from Washington, John from CA, and Angela from CA. I'm quite sad that class is over, but fortunately we will have Nivardo as our professor for at least one class next semester.

THANKSGIVING--INTERNATIONAL STYLE
Since there are so many Americans here who would be missing Thanksgiving at home, I decided to organize a Thanksgiving potluck here that we could share with out international friends too. It ended up stressing me out a lot, buuuuut was a great night! We probably had nearly 40 people there representing places all over the world. Let's see, we had people from the US, Mexico, Spain, Germany, Belgium, Australia, France, England, Italy, and Ireland. The food was good and plentiful and the company superb.

We got a turkey cooked from Soriana since none of the students here either had access to an oven or experience doing such things. We also realized that no one knew how to carve a turkey either. Sarah, one of our vegetarians (who oddly enough eats chicken and turkey...don't ask me how that works), started out carving the turkey for us. Then Patrik from Germany took over and did a fine job and also stood there serving everyone. When I got there he asked me if I wanted something from "the foot or some of this white meat." jeje

It was so much fun explaining our traditions and food to everyone who had never had Thanksgiving before. And they were really excited to participate! I sat next to Pablo from Spain and told him that the cranberry sauce was for the turkey and that the whipped cream was for the pumpkin pie. Very cute.

The International Programs office was very nice in helping me set all this up and donated a bunch of water and soda for us. We held it on this terrace that is on the third floor of the library which ended up being a beautiful setting because the campus is decorated (and has been for a couple weeks) for Christmas.

Veronica Martinez, one of the program coordinators and a professor here, came for a bit and loved it! She was talking with Bri about how she would like to make it a campus-wide event next year and a time that the American students can share some of their culture with the rest of the students telling all about the food and such. She also said maybe it could be an all-English night to give the international students a break and give the Mexican students a chance to practice their English (because everyone here is learning it). That would be so cool if I was a catalyst for a new tradition here at the Tec! jaja!

More photos from Thanksgiving.

Well, that's about it from this part of the world. I shall be returning soon to your part and look forward to seeing everyone!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well you have done it again, Rebekah.
I am really enjoying your adventures. Your amazing!
I am very proud of your ability to write such interesting blogs.
See you in about two weeks.
Love! Grandma Green

Anonymous said...

It's good to see that you are still having a great time. Your stories take us to Mexico with you. Have a safe trip back.rm