Monday, September 8, 2008

it's been a while...

I know, I know (Dad!)…it’s been a while since I posted. I don’t know why, but every time I sit down to write about my time here in Mexico this semester, I get stuck. Honestly, this semester has been much harder than the previous two, but I am acclimating slowly.

What I Am Doing
For those of you that I didn’t inform, I am back in Mexico for another semester. I have an internship with the International Programs (IP) office at the Tecnológico de Monterrey, the same university I attended last year through the CSU International Program. The IP office not only receives international students, but sends Mexican students abroad to countries all over the world. I work mostly with these students and Juan Carlos, who manages this program. It’s a lot of paperwork and emailing students, pleading for certain documents that I need to credit their classes abroad here at the Tec…but it is all in Spanish! I also do a fair amount of proofing of text in English or translating Spanish documents into English.

My Family
In an effort to not make this post too long (just for you, David) and so that I will actually get through it, I thought I would focus this post on my family here in Mexico.

I am living with a host family this semester (yay!) and thus have experienced every living situation offered to international students here: host family, dorms, and apartments off campus. A year ago I really wanted to live with a family, knowing that it is really the best way you can reinforce what you learn in the classroom, but a family with an accessible home was not available. Then after living with another American girl in an apartment last semester, I realized that part of what I loved about being in Mexico was being so independent in the respect that I didn’t have to report to anyone when I was going to be home and that no one was worrying about it (it’s OK Mom, I know that’s your job ;-). So then when I found out that I was going to be living with a host family, that liberty was again lessened. I wondered how I would integrate myself and if I would feel comfortable in their home. Natural concerns I imagine, but completely unnecessary.

Mely
My host mom’s name is Mely, or Imelda. She is the secretary of IP, so we became friends last year. She is an incredibly sweet, hardworking, and generous woman whose world is devoted to her family. She is also a fabulous cook! She comes from a family of 11 children, of which she is one of the youngest. Her mother lives very nearby our house (within walking distance) and at least one of the 11 are always there to spend time with their mother, as their father passed away just before I got here.

Olaf
My host dad is Olaf. He works at a clinic doing administrative work very nearby the house and just down the street from his son’s school and the house he grew up in with his 6 brothers and sisters. One thing I love about Olaf is that he is always happy and laughing. You can tell that he gets so much joy from being with his children and goofing around with them. He helps around the house a lot too. While Mely does all the cooking, Olaf does a majority of the housework, including the laundry and cleaning the bathrooms, and frequently washing the dishes. I try to help with the dishes and folding of laundry when I can find the opportunity, and their protests have lessened and been replaced with thank you.

Olafcito
Mely and Olaf’s oldest son is also named Olaf. He is thirteen and just hitting that age when he wants to be his own person, but just doesn’t know who that it is yet and is causing his parents quite a bit of concern. But he is a good kid and I have found a friend in him. We are kindred spirits in our love of music. He plays the guitar very well and learns by ear. He has already learned Layla, Stairway to Heaven, and Unfold by Jason Mraz since I’ve been here. He has made me his confidant and I try to encourage him to be someone worthy of his parents’ trust…let’s hope some of it soaks in.

Andrés
Andrés is the younger son and is 8 years old. He is a dear child with a tender heart. At the beginning he helped me a lot to feel at home here by wanting to play games with me every night. He likes to play with my hair too. :-) He wants to be a priest when he grows up and frequently pretends to be one around the house, giving communion to everyone. In spite of his sweetness, however, he is definitely the baby of the family and gets his feelings hurt easily and pouts the rest of the evening.

We live in a colonia (basically a community within the larger city) named Hercules. It is one of the oldest colonias in Querétaro and is absolutely beautiful. I don’t yet have photos of it, but want to take some soon. Both Mely and Olaf grew up in this colonia and a majority of their families live here. The community’s church is just around the corner from the house and the church bells warn me every morning at 6:30 (for the daily 7am mass) that I have been in bed too long. It is a community with a lot of roots and Mely tells me that even though I may not know everyone, they know who I am and are watching out for me.

For more photos of my home and other randomness, click here.

Anyhow, I am going to try to be more faithful in posting for ya’ll now that I have gotten past the first one. They may not be as frequent as they were in the beginning since my life here is pretty much as my life is in the US—go to work, come home, study some, and start over again. But these past 4 or 5 weeks have been quite an intense time of reflection for me, which is at times very hard, but good for me. Nevertheless, I covet your prayers as I continue on here and want you to know that I think of you all daily. Know that you are loved.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is nice to hear from you. And someone who likes to play with your hair..... life doesn't get much better then that.
Your loved very much too.

Anonymous said...

"Mely tells me that even though I may not know everyone, they know who I am and are watching out for me."

Bek, that statement makes me feel really good! That community atmosphere is so unlike here, where many of us do not even know our next door neighbors. Your parents are glad to know you are safe. :-)